Antonio Conte’s lawyer has revealed that an Italian prosecutor wants the incoming Chelsea boss to get a six-month suspended prison sentence as well as a fine for his alleged role in match-fixing.
Conte denies any wrongdoing but is being accused of ‘sporting fraud’ by prosecutors from the city of Cremona. It all stems from 2011 when Conte was the manager in charge of Serie B side Siena. The 46-year-old has already served a ban that was imposed on him by the soccer federation in relation to the 2011 case.
The former Juventus player and manager is due to take over as Chelsea’s new head coach after he has managed the Italian national side in the 2016 European Championship tournament in France this summer. A spokesman for the London club has said that they will not comment on an ongoing investigation.</p.
Italian prosecutor Roberto Di Martino requested the suspended sentence and an €8000 fine during a behind-closed-doors hearing on Tuesday in the Italian city of Cremona. He has cited a match between Conte’s Siena and Albino Leffe, claiming that Conte definitely knew of match-fixing efforts but said nothing to the authorities.
The defending Premier League champions have been looking for a new manager since the club’s owner, Roman Abramovich, decided to sack the self-proclaimed ‘Special One’ Jose Mourinho for the second time in his career last December. Guus Hiddink has been in charge on a temporary basis since then and the Blues have been undefeated in the league since his appointment.
The club could do without any controversy around their newest appointment. Leonardo Cammarata, Conte’s lawyer, confirmed that the defence will make a final statement in court on the 11th of April with the verdict in the trial due in the middle of May.