Chelsea 3-3 Everton Match Report – 16th January 2016

Chelsea needed a late equaliser from John Terry to secure a point against Everton at Stamford Bridge on Saturday. The Blues’ captain had scored an own goal to give the visitors the lead, before Kevin Mirallas doubled it. Diego Costa and Cesc Fabregas equalised, but Ramiro Funes Mori scored in added time to put the Toffees ahead. That looked to be enough for them but Terry’s late goal salvaged a draw.

Going into this game we said that Guus Hiddink might try and fix his defence by playing two holding midfielders, and that’s exactly what he did. John Obi Mikel and Nemanja Matic both started, with Fabregas playing in behind Costa. That aside, there were no other changes from the team who drew 2-2 with West Brom on Wednesday night.

There was little about the first half that suggested this would turn out to be a six goal thriller. The two sides went in at the break goalless, with Hiddink’s defensive midfield pairing seeming to be working for him. Neither side could really keep a hold of the ball in the first half, with the first 45 coming to a close without incident.

It took all of five minutes for the game to turn in the second half, as the visitors took the lead. Leighton Baines sent a cross into the box after a good attacking move, and it was Terry who got on the end of it. When trying to clear it, he deflected the ball in to his own goal, giving away the opening goal.

Everton had pushed forward and they looked dangerous and they were 2-0 up just six minutes later. Baines’ cross found Mirallas, who took one touch before firing home to double the lead. With the defensive duo clearly not working, Matic was hauled off to be replaced by Oscar.

Chelsea got back in the game not long after, as Fabregas’ long ball forward beat almost everyone, with Costa giving chase alongside Phil Jagielka. The forward held off the challenge, poked the ball around Tim Howard and scored into an open goal to get his side back in the game.

Two minutes later, Costa returned the favour, as he teed up Fabregas, who saw his shot deflected in to bring the Blues back level. The game stayed level until stoppage time, when Funes Mori turned the ball in at the back post. He ran into the crowd and his crowd surfing saw more time added on.

Into the eighth minute of added time, the Blues pumped the ball into the box, and Oscar nodded the ball in to the path of Terry. Terry was clearly offside but the linesman didn’t give it and his backheel finish pulled Chelsea level, ending an incredible game with some last minute drama. The team stay 14th in the table and they’re still unbeaten under Hiddink.

LCN Man of the Match: Cesc Fabregas